Mad River Valley Resources for Recovery: Tropical Storm Irene
By: friendv3 (friendv3) 2011.09.02

Mad River Valley Flood Relief Headquarters:

(802) 496-6089

HQ Coordinator:

  • Meghan Myrick at 802-279-9566,

Resources for Homeowners

Reporting Damages

Vermonters who have property affected by the storm should report it to the state. There are several phone lines in addition to the 211 number now in operation. Please note that it is critical to acquiring recovery aid that a statewide inventory of the damage is taken. Also, if repairs are made by a property owner, it is important to take pictures of the damage, document the repairs and keep receipts for potential assistance.

Storm Recovery Resources

Vermont Emergency Management Website

This site includes the latest updates and helpful information:

Vermont Emergency Management Facebook Page

The most up to date information for VEM can be found on their Facebook page. If you "like" VEM on Facebook you will be given automatic updates on your Facebook homepage as their status changes. Includes great links to press releases and other information. Find it at:

Roads and Traveling

Tropical Storm Irene Road Updates--Google Map

Ride Share

This site is designed for commuters to find car pools, but can be a valuable asset for individuals whose cars are damaged or destroyed:

Clean Up & Waste Management

General Info

After the Disaster: A Guide for Residents & Small Businesses About Managing Debris Waste
Many in the Northeast suffered serious damage and destruction this week as a result of Hurricane and Tropical Storm Irene. The Northeast Recycling Council (NERC) has a free guidebook that provides general information about recovery of premises, belongings, and other items, as well as recycling and proper disposal of debris following a disaster.

The guide is available for download at:

Also, the following items are banned from landfills and should be disposed of separately:

  • Tires
  • Appliances
  • Electronics including TVs
  • Paints/pesticides/hazardous materials
  • Fluorescent light tubes/bulbs and other mercury containing products
  • Propane tanks

Special Disposal Instructions—Banned Items

Household Hazardous Waste, Fluorescent Bulbs & Other Mercury Containing Products

Paints, pesticides, solvents, fuels, acids, lubricating oil, mercury products and similar materials can be brought to the Moretown Landfill on the following dates:

  • Friday, September 2 from 10am-4pm
  • Saturday, September 3 from 8am-2pm
  • Tuesday, September 6 from 8am-4pm
  • Wednesday, September 7 from 8am-4pm
Additional Instructions:
  1. Be sure that the containers that you are bringing to the collection are secure.
  2. Place in a larger container if the original container is damaged or leaking but use extreme caution if there is leakage and absorb spilled material with kitty litter;
  3. Keep the area well ventilated while collecting and transporting these materials;Do not mix contents of various container
  4. Wear appropriate protective clothing
  5. Don't dump chemicals down the drain and don't burn any chemical waste;
  6. Any bagged pesticides that are wet should be placed in plastic bags to prevent spillage during transport

Non-Petroleum Contaminated Sludge

Mud and dirt debris from flooding should either be disposed at a landfill or buried deep into the ground (1-2 feet below the surface). Spread lime on top of it and then cover with clean soil. Make sure that children and pets cannot come into contact with it.

Petroleum Contaminated Sludge

If the building had an oil tank that was breached and oil was spilled the Emergency Spill Hot Line should be contacted at 1-800-641-5005 for response assistance. If there is just petroleum odors in the muck it can be bagged and shipped to the landfill for disposal or it can be placed on plastic sheeting on site and then encapsulated with that plastic covering the muck. This will enable the petroleum to naturally degrade and break down.

Fuel Tanks

If you find a fuel tank on your property or floating in floodwaters, please contact the Vermont Fuel Dealers Association at 802-223-7750 or

Returning to Your Home

For information on cleaning up and returning to your home after flooding, visit:

Drinking Water

If your property/wellhead was inundated, your water should be considered unsafe to drink.  The Vermont Department on Health recommends that you shock your system, then test for bacteria <style>;@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section</style> two weeks after disinfection.

If your system was not inundated, but you are near areas that were inundated, the Department recommends that you either disinfect your system and then test it, or test your water and then disinfect your system if needed.

Drinking Water Safety after a Flood

Disinfecting Private Water Systems

Water Test Kits

Free kits will be available in each town soon:

  • Waitsfield:  Call the Mad River Valley Health Center (802)496-3838 to order a kit
  • Warren: will be available at the Town Offices (802)496-2709
  • Moretown:  Liz Harris will distribute kits to homeowners

If you need assistance with your water test, call Caitrin Noel at Friends of the Mad River (802) 496-9127 or (802) 279-1281

Financial Assistance

Federal Emergency Management Agency

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that federal aid has been made available to the State of Vermont to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the area affected by Tropical Storm Irene beginning on August 29, 2011, and continuing. The President's action makes federal funding available to affected individuals in Chittenden, Rutland, Washington, and Windsor counties.

Individuals and business owners who sustained losses in these counties can begin applying for assistance today by registering online at, by web enabled mobile device at or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).   This IS NOT THE SAME as calling 211.  You need to call FEMA for federal assistance.

Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.  The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

Risks from Additional Flooding/Erosion

Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program

If you are concerned that your home may be at immediate risk from additional flooding or erosion, the EWP Program may be of assistance.  The EWP Program responds to emergencies created by natural disasters, and relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms and other natural occurrences.  The program may bear up to 75 percent of the construction cost of emergency measures.  EWP is administered by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service. 

For more information please go to or call Ellen Sivret at 828-4493 x101 or Norm Smith at 802-865-7895 x117.

If your home is not at immediate risk of additional flooding/erosion, but you have questions about gravel removal, channel alterations, or bank/slope stabilization, please contact: Caitrin Noel at Friends of the Mad River (802)496-9127 or

Resources for Farmers

Reporting Damages

To report damages to property including but not limited to barns, milking parlors, crops, fields, equipment, etc., call:

· Your county USDA Farm Service Agency OR

· Your county Natural Resources Conservation Services office

Organizations such as the Vermont Farm Bureau (802-434-5646) or NOFA Vermont (802-434-4122) can also be called. These organizations will send a summary of the information to the Agency of Agriculture, which will forward it to VEM.

Crop Loss/Damage:  Emergency Conservation Program (ECP)

The Farm Service Agency runs the ECP, which addresses crop loss and damage to conservation practices such as fencing, ditches, culverts, debris removal from fields.  The Williston office covers Chittenden and Washington County.


· Larry Parker (800) 910-2035 ex. 102 or

· Eileen Powers (800) 910-2035 ex. 106

Farmer-to-Farmer Network

ACORN is working to connect growers in need of crops with growers who have a surplus. Please contact Jon Satz at (802)922-7060.

Financial Assistance

The Vermont Farm Fund (VFF)

In response to the catastrophic flooding that has devastated farms throughout Vermont, has established an emergency loan program. This program will accept applications immediately for $5,000 loans at zero interest to benefit Vermont farms that have been directly affected by the effects of Hurricane Irene.

To apply for a loan from the VFF, please visit  to view and download the application or contact

Vermont Farm Disaster Relief Fund

The Vermont Agency of Agriculture has partnered with the Vermont Community Foundation to create the Vermont Farm Disaster Relief Fund, which will assist Vermont farms that sustained damage from Tropical Storm Irene.

The relief fund will pool contributions from donors and will make grants directly to farmers affected by the storm.

Vermont Economic Development Authority (VEDA)

VEDA has allocated up to $10 million in low-interest loans that will be made available to businesses and farms hurt by Hurricane Irene.

For more information about the agricultural loan program:

Resources for Businesses

Reporting Damages

Businesses should call the Agency of Commerce and Community Development at (ACCD) at 828-3211 to report damage, which will be collated for VEM and FEMA.


ACCD will also make referrals for financing and technical assistance. The information needed when businesses make the call is: name of business, location (complete address), description of damage, point of contact, date damage occurred. There are additional questions for historic properties.

Financial Assistance

Vermont Economic Development Authority (VEDA)

VEDA has allocated up to $10 million in low-interest loans that will be made available to businesses and farms hurt by Hurricane Irene.

Interested businesses should go to VEDA's website for more information.

Structural Integrity of Buildings

Owners of businesses, public buildings and non-profits that have concerns about the structural integrity of their building as a result of flooding should contact Ann Sullivan Cousins at The Preservation Trust of Vermont: or 343-8180.

Contacts & Links

Town of Duxbury

(802) 244-6660

Town of Fayston


(802) 496-2454

Town of Moretown

(802) 496-3645

John Hoogenboom, Incident Commander (802) 496-3645 from 7:00 am – 6:00 pm.

Sean O’Brien, Safety Officer, (802) 917-0383.

Town of Waitsfield

(802) 496-2218

Town of Warren

(802) 496-2709

Friends of the Mad River

(802) 496-9127

Mad River Valley Planning District

Vermont Agency of Natural Resources:  Flood Response and Clean Up

How to Help


  • MRV Hurricane Relief HQ has most current information on needed supplies and volunteer activities. They are located at the Masonic Lodge, Rte 100, Waitsfield, next to Village Grocery. Contact or if you are ready to fill shifts. Phone 496-6089 for information on what supplies may be needed or if you need volunteers, resources etc.
  • If you have a Facebook account join this page . This is the Information hub for anything post Irene related to clean ups, needs, etc. In the Events section they list needs for volunteers by date/location. In the Notes section they list needed supplies and other relevant information.
  • If you are not on FB you can join Valley Futures Network Enter your email address and press “Join Us” button and you will begin to receive regular updates via email volunteer needs, supplies and other relevant information. 
  • Another place to find information on volunteer “events” is on this regularly updated calendar, all you need is access to the internet. 
  • VT Response is connecting volunteers to those in need

Donating Dollars

     Mad River Community Fund

an excellent and reputable community organization since 1989. You can make a donation on their website using Pay Pal or you can drop off a check at the Flood Relief HQ at Masonic Lodge on Main St. Waitsfield.

Vermont Foodbank

Go to and donate online or Text FOODNOW to 52000 to help fellow Vermonters! The Vermont Foodbank will help turn your $10 donation into $60 worth of groceries for local families in need.

Donating Supplies

  • MRV Hurricane Relief HQ has most current information on needed supplies. They are located at the Masonic Lodge, Rte 100, Waitsfield, next to Village Grocery. Contact or if you are ready to fill shifts. Phone 496-6089 for information on what supplies may be needed.
  • Coordinating supplies to Hancock/Granville/Rochester Contact Erin Chase at or by cell 802-279-0891.   East Warren Market is staging area for deliveries. She is coordinating with the town clerks in those towns.